WHAT IS A CARRIER OIL?
A carrier oil is a fatty oil that you can mix with your essential oils for various reasons. On each bottle of Young Living essential oils, there are dilution instructions. Different oils require different amounts of dilution. Oils known as hot oils require the most dilution and should never be used on the skin without being diluted with a carrier oil. However, if an oil says dilution is not required, you can still dilute it with a carrier oil to make it go further or to reach a greater surface area of your body. Some examples of quality carrier oils are:
- Jojoba Oil
- Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil—because it is not liquid at room temperature, don’t use it in roller or dropper bottles. You won’t be able to get it out!
- Fractionated Coconut Oil—this can go in a roller bottle.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or as we like to call it E.V.O.O. (Thank you Rachael Ray)
- Grapeseed Oil
- Young Living’s V-6 Carrier Oil – we recommend this!
TIPS FOR USING CARRIER OILS
- Following dilution instructions on label, fill roller bottles (our favorites are found here) with essential oil and carrier oil of choice for a mess free on the go way to apply your favorite oils. For example, Thieves oil has a dilution ratio of 1 to 5, so this means you fill your roller bottle with 1 part thieves oil and 4 parts carrier oil. Or you can just add 15-20 drops of the oil you are wanting dilute, and fill the rest of the roller bottle with carrier oil.
- Keep carrier oil in a dropper bottle for quick dilution. Put a small amount carrier oil in your hand and add essential oils and apply to your skin.
- Buy a carrier oil stick—like a giant chapstick—to use on the go along with essential oils. Spread some of the carrier oil on your arm and apply essential oils to the carrier oil and rub in.
- Add a few drops of carrier oil to a gel capsule along with Vitality oils as a dietary supplement.
- Mix essential oil(s) of choice with coconut oil for a toxin-free moisturizer.
WHEN NOT TO USE A CARRIER OIL
- When you are using a diffuser, carrier oils are not used. Instead just fill the water to the fill line in your diffuser and put in 2-8 drops of essential oil.
- When adding Vitality oils to drinks—we love a drop of lemon in iced water or a drop of copaiba in tea with honey!
- When using Vitality essential oils in cooking such as dips and baked goods.